Differences between GMAF and VSM
GMAF ran Geocortex Viewer for HTML5 (GVH) inside a web browser embedded in a native shell. It was the best development pattern at the time but has presented ongoing challenges, including performance and accessing the device’s native capabilities.
VSM takes advantage of the Esri Xamarin API to compile to native mobile device code. This means VSM is native, fast, and stable in ways that were not achievable with GMAF. We are able to use device capabilities without bridging browser-based code to a native platform.
This complete difference in construction technologies requires any custom components that are part of your GMAF application to be re-written using new technologies. Custom components are commonly built by Geocortex or our partners Services organizations, although in some cases by customers themselves.
VertiGIS Studio Workflow
GXM is built to work with workflows built with VertiGIS Studio Workflow. In Workflow Designer, you can choose VertiGIS Studio Mobile as one of the targeted deployment environments.
VertiGIS Studio Workflows written for your GMAF application will work in VSM. We recommend that you verify workflow operation within VSM as minor changes may be required in the new environment.
Xaml-based Geocortex Workflows are not supported by VSM, and would need to be rebuilt using VertiGIS Studio Workflow.
Different use case approach
With GMAF (GVH inside an embedded web viewer native shell) … you could do almost anything GVH could do. In practice however, almost every implementation of GMAF was focused on field data collection or field inspection use cases.
VSM was built to focus on the field data collection and inspection use case, and to create a superior user interaction for this primary use case. How features are added or edited is of primary concern, and it was not uncommon for GMAF customers to struggle to make the out-of-the-box GVH editing tools meet their business use case. We’ve significantly optimized the editing experience in VSM; and we’ve built it behind the scenes using VertiGIS Studio Workflow. This allows VSM to support tailored editing experiences on a per feature type basis where required.
If your GMAF application is not focused on field data collection and inspection, please initiate a conversation with us to explore the fit of VSM for your use case.
VertiGIS Studio Mobile is now generally available and will be supported by new releases introducing new functionality. GMAF is currently under Mature Support and no further development is planned or expected. GMAF was retired on December 31st, 2020.
VSM takes you further
VSM applications that you create can be accessed via the freely available VertiGIS Studio Go app – or administrators can alternatively opt to create iOS, Android, and Windows applications with your own build/signing/certificate credentials, logo, and name. The resulting custom-built applications are suitable for upload to the app store of your choice, or for distribution within your organization using existing Mobile Device Management (MDM) practices.
How do you get started with VSM?
Try VSM today using VertiGIS Studio Go
- Install VertiGIS Studio Go from the Apple, Google, or Microsoft store
- Launch VertiGIS Studio Go and click the “try out the sample apps” link
- Open the Capital City demonstration app and you will be immediately placed within a functional VSM application
Experience the design and validation flow for VSM using Designer and VertiGIS Studio Go
- Log into VertiGIS Studio Mobile Designer and open the Mobile Default template
- Change something simple like the branding accent color and save your app
- Load that app in VertiGIS Studio Go
- Try making further changes in Designer, saving the app, and then refreshing the app in VertiGIS Studio Go to see those changes take effect.
How to access VSM Designer
If you are a subscription licensee you can access the SaaS version of VSM Designer at https://apps.geocortex.com/mobileviewer/designer/
How do I get started moving my existing application to VSM?
- Build a webmap with the map services used in your existing GMAF application
- Create an app in VSM Designer and update the map component to point to your new webmap. You now have a functional VSM application allowing addition and editing of your current data!
- Determine what functionality from your existing GMAF application may still be missing. We think you’ll be surprised by the ease and scope of what you can accomplish just with Geocortex Go, the default template, and your feature services in a web map!
- To learn more about the built-in functionality of VertiGIS Studio Mobile, including the steps to configuring an offline-capable app, read the online documentation: https://docs.geocortex.com/mobileviewer/
- If you’d like to build your own workflows to meet your needs, consider brushing up your VertiGIS Studio Workflow skills with training: https://www.geocortex.com/support-services/training/developing-client-side-workflows-with-geocortex-workflow-5/
- If your needs are complex or would go beyond what can be done with workflow, consider engaging VertiGIS Professional Services with a kick-start package.
If you have any questions about VSM or any other VertiGIS product or service, contact your account manager or reseller for more information!